Friday 22 June 2012

Mull Madness, or not quite an ULTRA but...

I seem to be forever apologising about the lack of regular posts, but truth be told between work, baby preparations (ie complete gutting of our flat!) and maintaining my running streak, there just doesn't seem to be enough time to blog on a daily or even weekly basis.  In fact if you check my dailymile progress you may even be fooled into thinking I've not run for a while.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Despite some pretty foul weather and being forced into running late in the evening (often past 11pm!) I have not only maintained my streak, but also increased my minimum distance to 2miles and thrown in the requirement for 50 sit-ups and 50 push-ups each day.  These additions are part of me joining the Louisiana Ultra Runners Streak Clique, a lovely bunch of running nuts!

Anyway, I digress since the purpose of this post was to update on my plans for next week when we visit the beautiful Isle of Mull, off the west coast Scotland.

Mull is a very special place for me.  It holds my favourite places on the planet and has an almost magical ability to put me at ease with everything going on  in my life and I've been going there once or twice a year almost every year after being introduced to the island by my lovely wife Jenny in 1999.

So, since I have fallen behind a little with my #run2012miles challenge I though what better way to catch up than to run around the island that I love.  107miles in 6 days...how bad could it be?

The crazy plan: A little over four marathons in 6 days


This is part of my run2012miles challenge raising money for 5 great charities.  If you'd like to help support these please click on the Virgin Money Giving button on the top right of the blog...thank you for your support!

Monday, Day 01: 12.5 miles, 558 ft of climb (DETAILS)


Gribun to Ben More
Starting off at the turning to the Gribun, day one is the shortest day to allow me to establish a steady slow and comfortable pace that hopefully won't leave me too wrecked for the rest of the week.  The first four miles are fairly flat and then there is a three mile Cat 5 climb before a steady descent to the coast and the undulating road to the Ben More car park.

Tuesday, Day 02: 18.5 miles, 650 ft of climb (DETAILS)


Ben More to Tostarie
This is my excuse for missing yet another Up&Running shop run with my friends in Bristol!  Although through day 2 the sea is always in sight, there are some serious undulations starting from around the 9 mile marker.  A 1.5 mile climb incorporating another Cat 5 climb of 200 ft is the toughest of the day, but hopefully the beautiful views of Loch Na Keal and across Loch Tuath to Ulva will make up for the discomfort.  The run ends at Tostarie, a cottage Jen and I once stayed in over Christmas. 

Wednesday, Day 03: 18.1 miles, 1129 ft of climb (DETAILS)


Tostarie to Tobermory
This will be a tough day.  Starting with another cat 5 climb inland over Tresnish point before descending down towards the coast and along to Calgary bay before climbing across the north of the island through Dervaig and the windy roads and a further 3 cat 5 climbs before descending into Tobermory and with any luck some fish and chips on the pier from the van that features in Les Routiers!

Thursday, Day 04: 20.7 miles, 728 ft of climb (DETAILS)


Tobermory to Craignure
This will be an early start as we are staying just outside Bunessan at Traigh Mhor, The drive to Tobermory is around 90mins each way.  Day 4 stays along the coast road with views across the sound of Mull back to the mainland.  This is probably the leg I am least looking forward to as it starts with a steep climb that continues for the first four miles before dropping down again to the undulating coast.  This is the longest leg and along a fast A-road without any pavement.  The only plus side is that unlike the vast majority of the island which is single track, there are at least lanes for traffic in each direction!  Getting to the car park at Calmac Ferry Terminal in Craignure will be a relief!  I'm told we are celebrating at the ninth wave...I think I'll have the lobster nomnomnom!

Friday, Day 05: 19.5 miles, 755 ft of climb (DETAILS)


Craignure to Pennyghael
Very little sea to see on Day 5, but the run through the glen is spectacular.  I've run this before and know that the climb up through the glen of over 600ft in 6 miles is tough, even on fresh legs.  But the feeling that you get encompassed by the wonderful mountains is really quite breathtaking.  I just hope that I'm in a state able to appreciate it.  This run may very well take me in excess of 4 hours on tired legs, but words can't descibe how happy I will be when i pass the Gribun turning just before Pennyghael knowing that I have completed a ciruit of the island on foot.  Wish me luck in getting there...I will sleep well on Friday night!

Saturday, Day 06: 15.5 miles, 397 ft climbed (DETAILS)


Pennyghael to Fionnphort
The final stretch and it is out along the Ross.  This is the bit of Mull that makes me tingle, that has me not sleeping like a child before christmas on the build up and contains some of the most magical places imaginable.  Unfortunately for you I'm not sharing my secrets here as they need to be discovered to be enjoyed...like most of Mull, the more time you put into exploring, the greater your rewards and enjoyment!
So a steady and enjoyable stretch to finish with along through Pennyghael and Bunessan and finishing at the Iona Ferry.  I think it would be rude not to have lunch at the one and only Keel Row and maybe soak my feet off the jetty celebrating smashing through the half way mark of my 2012 challenge!

Totals: 104.8 miles, 4217 ft climbed


So with any luck, that will be 4 marathons in 6 days, an epic weeks running of over 100 miles and hopefully I should be through the half way mark for my 2012 challenge!

It won't be possible without some serious support from Jenny and possibly Phil driving me to the starts and scrapping me up at the end of the day when I'm done...and also Mam Reed who will be filling me up with Mull pie amongst other things to make sure I'm fuelled for my runs!

I'm not an ultra runner yet, but I hope one day I'll get there!

3 comments:

Pete Scull said...

Good luck Mike, thats one crazy week in store, look forward to hearing how it goes!

Michael said...

Cheers Pete! I'm not quite mental enough to do it in one go yet...but maybe next year if fatherhood doesn't scupper my training too much!

See you in a week or so!

Macie said...

Great readding